Originally published in 1921
There is no date or caption on this photo from The Star’s historical archive, but the scene it depicts is obvious to any casual historian.
On Nov. 1, 1921, the American Legion held its convention in Kansas City, coinciding with the dedication of the site where Liberty Memorial now stands. A crowd estimated as high as 200,000 people strong assembled for this parade through downtown.
Later at the dedication ceremony, five Allied commanders — Adm. David Beatty of England, Marshal Ferdinand Foch of France, Gen. John J. Pershing of the United States, Lt. Gen. Armando Diaz of Italy, and Gen. Joseph-Jacques-Césaire Joffre of France — gathered together for the only time after the war.